FULBECK KART CLUB SPRINT SERIES DRIVER’S BRIEFING
With the up and coming restart to the season, due to the Covid 19 situation, here is useful information ahead of the July meeting. Please read the whole briefing as there is some important information in there; ignorance is no defence!
Firstly we are really looking forward to racing resuming at Fulbeck I’m sure you are too.
There are a number of Covid19 precautions necessary which are listed at the end of this briefing. We want you to leave Fulbeck with nothing more than you came with apart from perhaps memories of great racing and if you’re lucky some silverware! Hence please read the list and if you have any issues, please speak to a member of the Fulbeck team by email, phone or the Facebook message facility.
Entry is only via the Alpha Timing entries system. No entry by any other means. All entries for both Saturday and Sunday close at midday of Friday. From approx. 1 pm Friday an on line signing on procedure will be open. You will be sent an email to your alpha timing registered email address to explain and give you access to the process. Keep an eye of your email account including your spam box! This on line signing on process will include the usual information required at scrutineering; engine, tyre, chassis numbers etc. It will also include this driver’s briefing and an acknowledgement that you have read it. Attendees’ details will be taken for your +2 in addition to your driver, vehicle registration etc. You MUST complete this process online before you arrive at the gate. The system is live and the officials at the gate will not allow you entry unless you have completed the process.
Part of the ‘remote’ signing on & scrutineering process, is for you to sign your kart and race wear is compliant and safe. Physical post-race checks will be made for safety and compliance.
The above process is likely to generate a queue at the gate. We ask you all be patient and allow the entry officials to do their job; it is for the safety of all. If the Queue extends to the highway, please wait in a safe and legal location.
On approach to the circuit and whilst leaving at the end of the day, please drive sensibly and be considerate to the local residents, we all have to share the same space.
Following entry through the gate, please set up your pit area, being considerate for the available space, the number of entries we expect and the distancing between pit bays / areas – 2M min.
Timings & Format
Gate open from 7.30am
First practice session 9.30am running order will be displayed next to the entry of the dummy grid.
We aim to run 3 full length practice sessions, 3 heats and a final for all. Subject to progress and timing we may be able to add an extra practice session or lengthen the heats and / or the finals.
Meeting status DRY, WET or OPEN will be displayed at race control.
Noise from the circuit is a delicate subject at present. This includes access to and from the circuit and noise from the circuit. X30 classes are asked to run the second euro / kf silencer if they have one (we understand these are in short supply). TKM, F100 and other similar formula must position their exhaust end can holes to the ground not rear facing; this will be checked on the dummy grid. All classes are required to be below 105dB. Noise readings will be taken from the gantry during the day and logged. There will be no engine running area. You can run your engines in your pit bay, for 10 seconds only. Warming engines up with the kart on the trolley for more than 10 seconds is not permitted. The engine run is to check the engine starts and runs, not to warm it up pre session. We have noise constraints to consider to keep our neighbours happy.
A polite reminder that bikes/scooters/footballs etc are banned. Please stay off the farmers’ fields/banks. Generally although karting is a very social event, especially for the younger drivers, until the Covid 19 risk lifts more so, we don’t want to see groups of children playing together anywhere on the site
Please be aware everyone hasn’t been out in the kart for a few months, take is easy on the first session. Make sure both the kart and the driver are working properly! Practice sessions are as their title; ‘practice’, ‘testing’ NOT racing, hence no reason for any contact. You don’t learn anything with contact in a practice session, apart from drivers can get hurt and you wreck your kart!
You will notice some major changes around the track regarding new kerbs (announced on a separate Facebook press release), which will make it a different track to drive! Give yourself time to get used to the changes; they are going to make for great racing.
Kerbs are officially recognised as part of the track. Track limits is the back edge of the kerb. If you continually run beyond this point you will receive a time penalty.
Starts are as before, but for those that haven’t raced at Fulbeck before…. Honda and gearbox will have standing starts – gridded up after one rolling lap, take care when approaching the grid after the rolling lap, officials will be on track. Once gridded green flag will be shown at the rear of the grid, 5 second board will be shown, red lights will go on, when the lights go out we are racing. If the start is false the starter will show the false start flag, slow down and follow instructions of the officials. Bambino will have standing starts, karts released from the dummy grid, mechanics follow the karts round to the grid, once gridded they leave the circuit. For all rolling laps miss the chicanes. For all other classes – rolling starts, you must be in your grid position by post 5; the post just before the complex. If you are not in your grid by that point you must stay where you are until the start. All rolling starts must be within the tram lines until the lights go out. The start is when the red lights go out. All starts including standing starts are to miss the first chicane on the first lap.
No overtaking after the chequered flag, race will be under yellows until you leave the circuit. Overtaking under yellow after the chequered flag is likely to result in a penalty.
All karts must take the second chicane unless instructed by an official to miss the chicane due to an incident. All chicanes missed will incur a time penalty as per the current rules. Once = 5 seconds, Twice = 10 seconds, Third or more times 1 lap. Consistent chicane missing including in practice sessions may result in an exclusion.
Driving standards. Kart racing is a non contact sport, we expect to see firm but fair racing. Respect each other on and off track. You can’t win the race on the first lap but you can certainly loose it, let’s see all karts round the first bend and through the second chicane on the first lap.
We expect to see defending on the first and last lap but not during the race. Excessive defending and moving position could result in a penalty.
Be aware of your flags, yellow being one of the most important, but also green, if you do not see a green flag after passing what you think is the incident, that means you are still under yellow; there could be another incident under yellow.
Unusual flags; quarter flag or ‘battenberg’, this means the race is under safety kart conditions, the leader must move at half race pace along with all those following. This is to allow an incident to be safely cleared for all those involved and to allow your race to continue. The time keeper will be monitoring all karts lap times, those that are not traveling at half race pace will receive a time penalty. For more serious speeding under these conditions an exclusion may be applied. The quarter flag is not an excuse to ‘catch up’. The race will go to green when you pass the start finish line under a green flag, NO PASSING BEFORE THIS POINT.
Finally on flags, a white flag may be used… what does it mean ? …. No not ‘I surrender’; it means ‘slow moving vehicle on track’. This is most likely to be another slow moving kart, or it could be a recovery / medical vehicle.
There will be no trophy presentation, please collect your trophies from race control after the final result has been declared.
We hope to see no penalties required. However If penalties are awarded there will be no hearing in the clerk’s office due to Covid 19 precautions. Information on the penalty will be given where possible either as drivers come off track or from race control. Please respect decisions made in these difficult operating conditions.
Hopefully the weather is looking good for the weekend and we will finally be able to get back to what we love - karting! But this will only be maintained if we can collectively show the authorities we can act responsibly within the Covid 19 precautions and the noise constraints. All that’s left for me to say is I hope you all have a fun and safe day Karting.
Officials for the meeting
Clerk of the Course: Paul Jaques
Deputy Clerk of the Course: Dan Ashton
Assistant Clerk: Luke Powell
Chief Scrutineer: Murray Day (J of F)
Chief / Series Timekeeper Des Woodcock (J of F)
Race Meeting Competition Secretary: Julie Thornsby
Chief Marshall: Glyn Griffiths
Grid: Clive Charlesworth
Medics: Mobile Medical Cover LTD
Event officials: Volunteers of the BMMC and Fulbeck Karting.
Sprint Series Clerk of the course
FULBECK KART CLUB COVID 19 PRECAUTIONS
We all want to get back to racing as soon as possible but as safely as possible too. Health & Safety is our number one priority.
· The Fulbeck team must be made aware of all attendees to the meeting, drivers and + 2.
· Professional medical cover will be provided during the day. They are Covid 19 aware. We want them to be bored – with no one to attend to. But if you need them make a club official aware first and they will communicate with the medical team.
· The Fulbeck Kart Club team will be on hand through the day, but please avoid congregating in the club house or any internal area unless necessary.
· Maximum 3 people including driver per kart. No transfer of people allowance between karts.
· Names of driver and +2 to be submitted at entry. ID required for driver +2, which will be checked on entry to the circuit.
· No spectators.
· No overnight stays on the site or within the boundaries of the site. For people travelling long distance and by prior arrangement only it may be possible to pitch on the access road up to the second locked entry gate. This would be at your own risk.
· No pets what so ever.
· No one to attend with any symptoms of Covid 19 or whom have had symptoms within the last 14 days prior to the practice date.
· Masks to be worn at all times outside of your own pit bay area. Drivers with helmets on and visors down will count as wearing a mask. Visors to keep down at all times outside of your pit bay area. Mask to be supplied by attendees. We may have masks to purchase, but this is not guaranteed. No mask = no attendance.
· Toilets facilities will be open but entry is on a one out one in basis with a queue outside.
· At least 2M to be left between each active pit bay. First come first served basis. Should the hard standing area become full allowing for empty spacing bays, pit on the grass with at least 2M between each bay.
· Bring your own sanitisers, limited sanitisers will be available from the club.
· Keep 1M + apart at all times. This means more than 1M if it possible to do so.
· Use opposite sides of the dummy grid and leave at least one grid space between each kart on the dummy grid.
· No parents or mechanics allowed on track unless instructed by an official on the day. If you are allowed on the track do not approach any driver other than your own driver and only when you are instructed it is safe to do so by an official
· Awnings are permitted but with no sides, subject to weather conditions.
· Trolley park will be divided in two with a strictly in and out route. Park trolleys more than 1 meter apart.
· Park karts more than two metres apart when coming off track, mechanics and parents to advise drivers. The two metres between karts is to allow people to stand either end of the kart to pick it up and still be more than 1M apart.
· Please follow any signage and / or one way systems for flow of karts or people. These are designed to reduce the risk to all.
· STILL HAVE FUN!!!!!